It is Period Drama Week over at Elegance of Fashion from Sept 4th-10th. She has asked many of us to participate by answering these questions below on our blogs.
So, here goes... hope I won't leave anything out!
1. How did you get into period dramas?
My Mother, Sister, and I first began watching Anne of Green Gables many years ago ... and then, we were hooked!
2. What is it that you like about period dramas?
Everything - the way they dress, speak, and behave.
3. Do you usually read a book and then watch the adaptation or do you watch the adaptation and then read the book?
Just depends... I love to read - sometimes I read it before - sometimes after. Either way, it's fun to see how close the movie is or isn't to the original story
4. What are your top three period dramas and why?
Emma, Pride & Prejudice, and Anne of Green Gables - all are beautiful stories about family and love
5. From those three period dramas that you picked, who are your favorite characters in each one?
Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennet, Anne Shirley
6. Which author do you like the adaptations of their works best?
7. Which period drama characters are the funniest to you (Keep it under three)?
(Hmmmm, still thinking...Any Suggestions???)
8. Which period drama characters are the most annoying (Keep it under three)?
Jane Fairfax, Mr. Elton, Mrs. Elton
9. Which period drama characters are in your top three?
Emma, Knightley, Anne Shirley, and Gilbert Blythe (I squeezed in one more!)
10. When you watch period dramas, what is it that you pay the closest attention to (ie. costuming, scenery, etc.)?
Relationships and witty conversations - I try to catch every detail!
11. Which period drama which you haven't seen yet do you most want to watch? (Suggested by Miss Laurie from Old-Fashioned Charm)
Hmmm.... Maybe the Mandie Movie Series
12. Which period drama has the prettiest soundtrack or background music? (Suggested by Miss Laurie from Old-Fashioned Charm)
Emma (both versions! However, the New 2009 is even better!).... I have all the Soundtracks and it is absolutely Beautiful !!!
13. Which period drama has your favourite screenplay/script? Why? (e.g if it is similar to the original text, if there is one, or if it has been improved in some ways) (Suggested by Abby from Newly Impassioned Soul)
Emma, Pride & Prejudice, and Love Comes Softly - all follow the books fairly close.
14. Do you like having multiple versions of some period dramas? Do some period dramas need a newer version? Or are the older versions better? (Suggested by Abby from Newly Impassioned Soul)
Yes, I love a variety of movie versions.... that way I can choose my favorite!
I personally think we need a new Persuasion Movie (by Jane Austen). It's time it receives a new upgrade. My apologies to the actresses, but I would like someone else to portray Anne Elliott. I adored the book, but not the movies, thus far.
15. "What is the longest period drama you've seen?" (Suggested by Charity U from Austenitis)
Perhaps Mini-series like Cranford, Wives & Daughters, Pride and Prejudice, or Buccaneers, or maybe even Anne of Green Gables & Anne of Avonlea.
16. Who are your favourite actors/actresses from period drama? (Suggested by Maria Grazia from A friendly meeting place to read and discuss anything Austen...)
Definitely Megan Follows as Anne Shirley and Romola Garai as Emma and Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet
17. Do you prefer watching a regular-length movie or a more in-depth mini-series? Why?(Suggested by Melody from Regency Delight)
Either.... as long as they are good. Mini -series are wonderful though - because the story we are enjoying will go on even longer...
18. What period drama has one of your favorite actors/actresses in it?' (Suggested by Miss Raquel from God's Daughter)
Anne of Green Gables - Megan Follows
19. Which heroine from which movie was your least favorite? Why? (Suggested by Jen Corkill)
Anne Elliott - Persuasion
20. Which three period dramas are your least favorite? (Okay, I added in that one, but it was inspired from Jen Corkill's suggestion)
Based on movies I've seen vs. the original books- Persuasion, Mansfield Park, and Love's Abiding Joy
Thank you for reading along...
I have enjoyed answering these questions and if you would like to participate, too... be sure to take a step back in time and visit the web-site : Elegance of Fashion!
God bless you all...